The Big Yard Sale
May 12 & 13
The Big Yard Sale is a two-day sale event of gently used student items (e.g., furniture, clothing, household items, etc.), which are collected by volunteers during move-out week. Proceeds from the sale go to the Falls of the James Sierra Club chapter and University of Richmond's sustainability student organizations.
People with University of Richmond identification and their family members can attend the preview sale on the evening of the 12th.
The Yard Sale is a cash or check-only event. No credit cards will be accepted.
The Big Yard Sale has three main objectives:
- Educate students about responsible waste reduction
- Divert reusable items from the landfill and provide them to the community at affordable prices
- Raise money for environmental organizations both on and off campus
For more information about how you can get involved, please email the Office for Sustainability at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Big Yard Sale collects gently used student items in the following locations:
- Residence Hall Laundry Room Donation Stations
- Apartment Complex Laundry Donation Stations
- Outdoor Goodwill Bins
- After April 29, there volunteers will collect items under red tents around campus
A couple of things to remember as you're thinking through what to donate:
- If it's unusable, we don't want it either. Please do not donate items that should be sent to the landfill.
- If it's repairable, we'll take it.
- We take unopened, non-perishable food.
- We'll take sheets, towels, matress covers, pillows, and mattresses, but NO foam pads.
- You're awesome. Thanks for thinking of us.
There are many opportunities to volunteer with the Big Yard Sale. The Office for Sustainability and GreenUR will begin recruiting volunteers at the mid-point of the spring semester.